Monday 4 June 2012

So you want to go natural

So i decided to chop off my relaxed hair and start afresh so that's how i went natural. For you that have relaxed hair and don't want to cut it off I will post recommendations later when I've researched it.

I started to take care of my hair about 6 months ago when I went to a salon in Westlands and met a hairdresser named Carol who had experience with natural hair. She introduced me to products for natural curly hair and I loved the results so I realised that I needed to start taking care of my curly fro.  After that I decided to experiment with kinky braids which I loved and after braiding for 2 1/2 months my hair grew and I had this fro I didn't know how to deal with.

Then came researching on blogs and watching tutorials on you tube and although I'm just starting here is what I think everyone starting the journey should have.

  • Shampoo- most shampoos in the market are sulphate shampoos and these dry hair as they strip the oils in our hair so try not to shampoo often
  •  

  • A silicone free Conditioner (Suave Conditioners and Enliven conditioners are at Nakumatt)- these are great in softening and help in de tangling our hair. Always de tangle when your hair is wet and coated with conditioner. You can use a wide tooth comb or your fingers to detangle your hair. also the conditioner can be used to co-wash your hair in between your shampooing. co washing is washing with conditioner this still leaves your hair clean and soft.



  • A deep conditioning treatment - these can be done at least once a week and its great for maintaining healthy moisturised hair. We all used to do treatments when we had relaxed hair so we know treating is good.

  • A leave in conditioner- this is great after you've washed and treated your hair as it locks in moisture in your hair and leaves your hair soft and moisturised.

  • A styling product- this is great for curl definition and for laying down edges of your styles.

  • A wide toothed comb - only use this when de tangling!!
  • Oils- these are great for sealing in the moister after the leave in conditioning or on their own- Coconut oil, Extra Virgin olive oil, Castor oil, Almond oil and avocado oil.

Hope this helps will do more in depth posts on all products soon. P.S. all these products are available in supermarkets and cosmetic stores.

Be blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment