Our hair queen today is my beautiful cousin Shiro Wanderi who is growing locs and loving it..this is her hair journey so far..
When did you decide to go natural?
- I decided to natural in April of 2011. Before then, I used to rock full and half wigs a lot. I would never walk out the house if my hair wasn’t covered with a wig or weave. I remember I had all kinds of wigs with different names. I would wear “Anisha” one day and “Tamika” another day. It was crazy but I loved it. But one incident changed my perception on wigs forever. So this is what happened. One day I was in a Zumba class and we were dancing to a routine which needed some serious full body movement. I was really enjoying myself when suddenly, my wig fell off. I was so embarrassed and didn’t even know whether to put it back on my head or not. Well, I did because underneath that wig was world war
III, trust and believe me! So I after the session, I went home and thought to
myself, “Why am I hiding my hair? This is what God gave me and there’s no
reason to be ashamed of it.” So that was the defining moment of my hair and my
life. I went natural and it was one of the best things that ever happened to
2. How did you go natural? Transition or Big Chop?
- I would say I did the big chop but honestly I had little to no hair so I maybe mine was maybe a “small chop” lol
3. What reaction did you get from family and friends?
-Well some people liked it but many didn’t. Most people said I looked weird, others said I should go back to wearing wigs, so much was said but I didn’t listen to any of that. My family was and still is very supportive.
4. What’s your maintenance routine?
-After six months of my transition, I decided to lock my hair. It’s been quite a journey but I’m loving every single minute of it. My “babies” as I like to call them are now 11 months old.They`ll be one year on the 30th of next month.
5. What products do you always use?
-I use Jamaican mango and lime products and I can attest that they have really played a big role in my lock growth.
6. What is your hair goal?
- My ultimate hair goal would be having long and healthy locks. I would love to hold my hair in a ponytail knowing that it’s actually my real hair and not an extension or something.