Sunday 30 December 2012

New products, regimen and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hey ya'll,
Pole for the silence but the holidays took over and I just haven't had the time. so from my last post I had on crochet braids which I kept on for 3 1/2 weeks. I washed them once and moisturised my scalp and hair every couple of days. I DC'd after the removal and was so happy at the length I retained..this will definately be my go to style for Protective styling
New products update
Cowash- Alberto Balsam strawberries and cream

Prepoo oils- EVCO, EVOO, avocado oil and castor oil
Prepoo condish- Lory's silicone treatment

Shampoo- African Black soap
DC' treatment- ORS Replenshing Pak, mixes from my kitchen
Henna gloss once every month- Nupur henna ,conditioner and EVOO


Leave in conditioner- Giovanni's Direct leave in

Styler- Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie

Sealing oil- Jamaican Black castor oil, my shea butter mix(has shea butter, cocoa butter, EVOO,EVCO)


I purchased the curl enhancing smoothie, Giovanni and JBCO from http://www.lexies-curls.de/ which is a natural hair care product website run by a Kenyan natural Faith Fischer who is based in Germany but can ship to Kenya.
Regimen change -
I recently learnt that my hair has low porosity and so I have to find a way to make sure that I maintain the right amount of moisture levels in my hair. Here are tips on caring for low porosity natural hair
Low porosity hair tends to be very shiny, initially repels water rather readily absorbing it, has flat cuticles and is difficult to chemically process. Basically this means it is difficult for anything to penetrate the hair shaft. On the flip side it is also difficult for anything to leave the shaft. To find out about the porosity of your hair check out this video http://youtu.be/QSfa7YtD8OA

New regimen tips for low porosity hair :
For regular conditioning rinse hair with warm water first to open the cuticle and then apply conditioner. Leave on hair for about five minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.

For deep conditioning, apply deep conditioner (DC) generously to hair. Next cover hair with a plastic cap and sit under a warm dryer for 30-minutes or wrap a warm towel around your head for 45-minutes. The heat will help the conditioner penetrate the hair shaft. Rinse hair with lukewarm water.
Use protein packs sparingly and only if noticing like excessive breakage or dryness from heat damage. When low porosity hair is healthy, added protein will lay on hair making it dull-looking, dry and feel straw-like.


On wash day use a leave-in conditioner or use a light conditioner that has slip to it as your leave-in. Use very little of the conditioner on hair while it is still wet. I will need to smooth the conditioner through hair, gently squeezing hair to remove excess conditioner. Then apply an oil, anti-frizz serum or hair gel to seal while hair is still wet.
When using styling products I need to use a light hand with them. If you use too much product on hair it can leave a white residue on it or make hair feel dry because it will build up on the hair.

So armed with this info I will adjust some steps in my  regimen and hopefully my hair will thank me for it..here's to happier hair in 2013. Thank you to all my subscribers and for all of you that have checked out my blog..I feel so blessed..
HAPPY NEW YEAR BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment